In recent years, there has been an explosion in the number and variety of computer mouses on the market. This is largely due to the fact that different types of computer games require different types of mice.
For example, first-person shooters (FPS) generally require a mouse with high precision and fast response time, while massively multiplayer online (MMO) games tend to require a mouse with a lot of buttons and customizable options.
The Corsair Scimitar RGB Elite is a gaming mouse that was specifically designed for MMO games.
It features 12 programmable buttons, 3 Zone 16.8 million color RGB backlighting, and an ultra-accurate 16000 DPI optical sensor.
In this review, we’ll take a closer look at the features of the Scimitar RGB Elite and see how it performs, both in actual gameplay and as a daily driver for a period of six months.
As mentioned above, the key distinction between an MMO mouse and other kinds is the numberpad on the side, this allows you to the multitude of use spells and abilities available to you in MMO with your mousehand, allowing the other hand to focus on movement.
On this front, the Scimitar is exceptional, with an adjustable numberpad that can be moved in all four directions to suit your preference.
This is achieved with a allen-key bolt on the underside of the mouse, simply loosen it to adjust the numberpad position, and tighten it again to lock it in place.
The buttons themselves also very well placed and easy to press, with a distinct tactile feel that lets you know when you’ve pressed them.
The pad is arranged in 3 rows and 4 columns, every other column has a distinct texture and the middle row protrudes very slightly, so it is easy to locate and press the number you are looking for before you have developed muscle memory.
The Corsair Scimitar RGB Elite is a well-built and sturdy mouse. It feels solid and well-constructed, with no rattles or loose parts.
The side buttons are also firmly attached and have a nice, positive click to them. The only downside to the build quality is that the cable is not removable, so if it ever gets damaged, you’ll need to replace the entire mouse.
Though the cable itself is braided and the attatchment points on both ends have strong and flexible mounts, which should make breakage unlikely.
In terms of ergonomics, the Scimitar RGB Elite is very comfortable to use. It’s a bit on the large side, but it fits snugly in my hand and I never felt like it was too big or too small.
The ring and pinky rest is also very comfortable and provides good support for your hand.
The only downsides are that the textured section of rest picks up dirty very easily and the side buttons are a bit hard to reach in their default position if you have small hands – though these are adjustable as mentioned previously.
Tips from a long term owner:
After owning and using this mouse as both my daily driver and gaming mouse for the last six months, I have some additional comments to those above.
Corsair’s peripheral control software isn’t great, it’s way too large for a glorified LED controller and eats up an obnoxious amount of resources while running. However, this can be avoided by saving profiles to the mouse itself and simply uninstalling it.
Careful with the mousewheel
My Scimitar broke after just four months of daily use – the mouse wheel started sometimes sending up when I rolled it down and vice versa, this was an absolute deal breaker for games.
However, the RMA process was quick and easy and a replacement was on my desk by the end of the week.
I tested the Corsair Scimitar RGB Elite in a variety of MMO games, including World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XIV, and Star Wars: The Old Republic. In all of these games, the Scimitar RGB Elite performed admirably.
The side buttons were easy to reach and the backlighting was a nice touch. The only issue I had was the mouse wheel problem, though this may have been due to a defective unit.
Overall, the Corsair Scimitar RGB Elite is an excellent gaming mouse for MMO games. It’s well-built, comfortable to use, and has a ton of features that are specifically designed for MMOs. If you’re looking for a new MMO mouse, the Scimitar RGB Elite should definitely be at the top of your list.
- Loaded with 17 fully programmable buttons, ideal for performing frequent actions and executing complex macros in MMOs and MOBAs.
- Patented Key Slider control system lets you reposition the 12 side buttons to comfortably fit your grip. hardware macro playback: three predefined profiles include actions common for MMO gaming as well as General purpose keyboard shortcuts. Custom, gaming Grade 16000 DPI Optical sensor: ultra-accurate and high-speed tracking Engine. Surface calibration tuning Utility: optimizes sensor precision and responsiveness for your playing surface.
- Equipped with a custom PixArt PMW3391 native 18, 000 DPI optical sensor, adjustable in 1 DPI resolution steps, for highly accurate and customizable tracking.
- The SCIMITAR RGB ELITE’s 50 million click-rated Omron switches, durably constructed scroll wheel, and braided cable ensure that it stands up to the wear-and-tear of extended gaming.
- Sculpted to comfortably fit the contours of your palm, regardless of hand size or grip style, with a right-side finger rest for added support.